Monday, November 21, 2011

What I learnt about writing from writing Pride & Princesses...

Pride and Princesses was the sixth novel I began and the first novel I wrote for young adults. I learnt that I found it hard to be a good reader whilst I was writing my own stories, and I missed reading other people's published works. Like many writers, I have read since I was small (avidly). I think the first story I remember reading was Charlotte's Web (I loved it) then A Little Princess (also big love). I learnt that it is very difficult to concentrate on writing your own work whilst reading other people's. This could fill a very long post...but I'm gonna keep it short-ish. What I know about writing is that your writing is unique...no one else wrote the exact words in the same order to create the story, so only you could tell the story the way you told it...and there is some real satisfaction in creativity! The process can be so taken over by business and the pressure to find an agent and publisher, but it should never stop you doing what you love...putting words on the page in your unique voice.