Wednesday, May 8, 2013

HOW TO WRITE A NOVEL IN TWELVE STEPS: A Good Beginning (#Six)



STEP SIX: A GOOD BEGINNING
For the sake of this process, I’m going to refer to my own first YA novel: Pride & Princesses in this section.
Genre: Teen romance novel/ Young Adult
Synopsis: When two best friends invent a dating game that includes a group of mean girls (known as The Princesses)  and the hot new guys in school, their lives change forever.
When I do refer to it, please know I am not holding it up as a standard. I am aware it is imperfect. It is, however, uniquely mine. I so enjoyed the process of writing it, I want to share some of that process with you.
I’m also going to mention writers whose work I have been privileged to read.
First up, Your beginning has to grab the reader’s attention.

  • In Pride & Princesses I had an image in my mind of a game I used to play at school with some friends. It was funny. It was kind of an acting game.
  • I also thought of the consequences of a life-changing moment.
  • Unbeknownst to the reader, Phoebe’s life-changing moment is meeting her future husband. Not to sound too dramatic but what seems like a throw-away line:
  • “The first time I saw Mark Knightly, my world changed forever…”
  • Actually has resonance.
With your novel, find that image, find that moment and try to write a sentence that readers are going to remember.

  • I remember the first sentences of all my favourite novels.
  • Who remembers this one?
  •  “When I stepped out into the bright sunlight form the darkness of the movie house…”
It’s from The Outsiders by SE Hinton… If you’re a teenager and you haven’t read it, well, I think you should.