Tuesday, July 16, 2013

THE HOTNESS: A Modern Teen Pride and Prejudice (chapter sixteen: After-words)



Chapter Sixteen
After-words
Homecoming had ended on a low note as Rebel and Sia screeched through the auditorium playing a childish game of tag. The younger Bennet girls were the last students to leave and could be heard laughing throughout the exit hall and giggling with a group of boys before piling into the back seat of Mrs Bennet’s car.
    Mrs Bennet, who had made an appearance to collect her younger girls, had joined some of the other mothers towards the end of the evening. At one point, and much to Shiloh and Paige’s chagrin, their mother could be heard talking up their chances of ‘taking those handsome new boys to the prom.’
     Paige, mortified, turned her head and decided to go outside for air. Senta was hiding out there under a tree.
     “Parties don’t do it for me. I’m so over socializing. Our younger sisters always make us look like total losers. Besides, dancing is overrated, even at an arts school.”
     Paige thought her middle sister had a point even if she had a tendency to sound about twenty years older than she was. Rebel had stumbled outside by now with Sia and was laughing uproariously and speaking way too loudly.
     “Have you seen that new Senior? Darcy Donovan? What a jerk! I honestly didn’t know where to look!  When his friend, who’s actually nice, agreed to host a party at their house Darcy looked like he was about to throw up! Perhaps Aussie boys are only hot in movies…”
     “Oh, please, Rebel,” Senta added, “there’s no need to be so descriptive.”
     “Yes, stop exaggerating, Rebel”, Sia added. “Ryan Bingley’s way hotter. Senta, you should stay out here and stop eating so much ice-cream – it will only make you fatter and then you’ll make me look worse as your sister. You need to be more social, chillax...”
    “Are you serious Rebel? Rys Wickam has just arrived and you know I think he’s a candidate to take me to the prom...” Rebel interrupted.
     “It’s not open to everyone,” Paige stated simply.
     “Well, I’ve spoken to Mackenzie Bingley and when she becomes leader of the Praise & Worshipfuls and votes on the Princesses’ next mixer, they’re going to open it up to ‘specially invited guests,’ and that’s when my lovely sisters get to invite me.”
      Paige couldn’t believe what she was hearing or how boy crazy her youngest sisters were. It was embarrassing. She resigned herself to talking to her parents about their behavior. Perhaps her father could send them to an etiquette camp where they were sure to learn some manners.
       Paige was so over homecoming by the time she pulled on her seatbelt. Darcy’s words had stung her beyond the point where she ever wanted to speak to him again.
      “How dare he say I wasn’t good enough for him? As if I’d want him!  A webisode series does not make a star…”
      “Never mind, Paige, at least now you don’t have to acknowledge him,” Coco said as she piled into the back seat. They’d promised to drop Coco home as she lived close by.
      “I think I can safely say, I’ll never willingly talk to him again.”
      “Much less dance with him,” Shiloh added as she crawled in.
       Mrs Bennet had also been filled in on the story.
      “I wouldn’t talk to him or dance with him or go out with him even if he begged you to…”
      “I think I can safely say Darcy Donovan is the last boy in the world I would ever date,” Page assured both her sister and her best friend. 
       As the girls dozed Mrs Bennet commented about the Princess mothers to Paige;  
      “All they wanted to know was where Daddy plays golf and when I told them Mr Bennet doesn’t play golf, one of them actually turned their back on me. And as for that rude boy Darcy Donovan – I’d be quite happy if I never had to see him again.”
      “I’m pretty sure you’ll never have to,” Paige added.
      “Well, he was quite rude when I asked him where Rebel had gone. He just shrugged and turned away. His friend was quite nice though.”
       After dropping Coco home, The Bennet sisters were relieved to arrive at their own place a short while later. Their house was modest but welcoming, rustic but warm.